Today while I was walking from the bus stop to my house I was listening to an albums that always take me back in time. There are a few album, songs and bands/singers that were a huge influence in the way I pick music today. I guess that happens to a lot of people. As we grow old our appreciation of things change. Here are the reasons why my taste in music changed so radically:
1. Queen: I’ve listened to this band since I was a fetus,^_^, seriously. My dad is a huge fan so Queen was constantly playing on his stereo. Up today Queen is my favorite band and I’m totally fascinated by Freddie Mercury.
2. Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park and Fallen by Evanescence: These two albums were the beginning of the process. It opened my mind to explore more. I know they are considered mainstream and all that but they still have a place in my heart.
3. Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Californication” and “Otherside” and “Zombie” by The Cranberries: Three songs I totally I love, love, love. Those songs represent my first year in the technical school where I was studying and the friends I made there.
4. Madonna’s album, Music: I wasn’t a big fan of Madonna when I was a teen. Too much Britney perhaps but in 2000 she released this album and a friend from Switzerland gave it to me as a gift but I wasn’t into Madge so I decided to give it to a neighbor. He loves her so he was really happy for the gift. I’m thankful for what he did after that. He shared his love for the Queen of Pop with me and now I’m a fan.
5. Nightwish: My favorite band after Queen for sure. I will always thank one of my friends for introduce me to this band. One word to describe them, Epic. Tarja’s voice is unique. There is no one like her. I was so sad and mad when she was kicked out. Sometimes when I remember what happened my mood completely changes. But nothing is perfect.
6. Enigma’s “Sadeness” and “Return To The Innocence”: Another reason why I have to give thanks to that neighbor. I’m a huge fan of Enigma after listening to these two songs he gave me.
7. “I Want Out” by Helloween: This is a song I can relate to. I had the cover of Sonata Arctica first so I kinda like that one more but both versions are great.
8. Kelly Clarkson’s Breakaway: I really love this album. Non stop for weeks. She is probably my favorite winner from American Idol.
9. Marilyn Manson: He is crazy, he is evil, he is OTT and I love it. He is such an inspiration. His videos are so rich and awesome. I really don’t care what other people think about him I love his music.
10. Los Hijos De Guillermo Tell by Carlos Varela: I wasn’t a huge fan of trova when I was younger, but a friend of mine gave me this album when it was released back in 2004. It totally changed my mind about this genre. Thanks to Varela I began to listen to more and more of this music style and I’m totally a fan today.
This last one is apart from the rest since he totally changed my world in such a short amount of time. He came to my life when I least expected to. But becoming a fan of Adam Lambert is probably on of the best things that have ever happen to me. After months of feeling down and with no idea of what to do with my life and in a foreign country. Adam appeared on my tv one night during one of his performances on American Idol. The moment I heard his voice I was hooked forever. You can say it was Love at first listen. After that day my live began to change. My inspiration came back and a lot of great opportunities too. I’ve met a lot of amazing people on the internet. Not only amazing, super mega sweet and cool people. I also lost the fear to speak because my English used to be a mess (I’m still working on it). Being his fan has made me a better person too.
And these are the singers, bands and songs who have influenced me musically and spiritually.
Peace, Love and Rock and Roll,